Wednesday 13 March 2019

Contacting

People I'd like to work with or contact or gain experience in their company:
Shop Dixi
Regal Rose
Georgie Gozem
Sabat Magazine
I need to find other publishers/magazines
Send my work to bands I like for music posters/albums?





I contacted Georgie Gozem who left LAU a couple of years ago and I love her work. Her work sits in a similar category as mine as it is also inspire by dark mythology/gothic.
She was SO helpful, gave me some great advice and it turned into a friendly conversation/crit, she asked to see my online portfolio and gave me some advice on that too.
The conversation was quite long so I just wrote the notes to take away:

-keep up momentum in making work after leaving uni
-look at graduation as a continuation of the work I've been doing
-she had to get a 'normal' job to begin with and that's common 
-freelancing isn't something you can just walk into
-it's important to push your work out there
-send e-mails and your work out to people and companies
-sometimes it's worth taking a lower offer to get your work out there
-ask AOI for advice if you're unsure
-print fairs always seems to have an audience for this type of work
-send my work to a range of magazines, publishers, bands
-switch to an Adobe site
-listen to podcast called Creative Pep Talk by Andy J Miller
-keep going with sketchbook work, the ideas are important 
-'fuck instagram always making you feel like you have to post finalised, perfect stuff'
-it takes time, and if you keep plugging away, it snowballs
-contact shops to see if they'll take on some of your prints 
-she said to contact her any time with any questions!


No comments:

Post a Comment