Wednesday 10 May 2017

Study Task 6 - Interdisciplinary

Discuss an example of a cultural product, place or interest that informs your creative practice in some way. 
Focus on the synthesis between this interest and what you are trying to achieve with your work, or how it has informed your outlook more holistically.

MUSIC
I've chose to talk about music as it is definitely my biggest interest outside of illustration. Also, I've been a lot more interested in metal music since the start of this academic year. I've been to Key Club almost every Friday to the metal and rock night. The gigs I have been to are crazy; Nickelback (lol), Billy Talent, Bring me the Horizon, Don Broco, Soil, Black Stone Cherry, Skindred, Alterbridge, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Deftones. I have lined up; Slam Dunk Festival, Download Festival, While She Sleeps, Northlane, Novelists. I really love listening to music, finding new bands, going to gigs and it definitely influences me as a person. I think music and art are both in sync with each other. It's an artist trying to express themselves and communicate an message important to them. I'm find this blog post hard as I feel like its not something you can put into words and thats why these feelings can be communicated with music or art.
I often listen to SWIM (Someone Who Isn't Me) podcasts by Daniel Carter. He interviews mainly band members from various metal bands. Ones that have stood out to me are Sam Carter and Dan Searle from the band Architects. They are truly inspiring down to earth people and they use their bands popularity to highlight issues going on around the world. The whole band is vegan and they promote the charity Sea Shepard. Sam Carter is an ambassador for the charity and the band have raised a lot of awareness for this great charity who defend fragile marine wildlife and the destruction of their habitat. I think this is an amazing way to communicate this important message through art, and it's working and touching peoples lives and raising a lot of awareness. I like that these kind of message could also be communicate through art and illustration.
These kind of music and also the podcasts just inspire me immensely and make me rethink my creative outlook on life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment