Wednesday 2 November 2016

Study Task 2- Practice

What is practice?
Before today's group chat about what an illustrators practice is I would have said their finished pieces, their portfolio. But after today and thinking about it in depth I'd say it is the illustrators process, their trials and errors, their inspirations and imagery, the techniques and mediums they use and the reasons why they're making the work whether it's a client or to sell as a piece of work.

Nick Sheehy

Image result for nick sheehy pineapple

I first came across Nick Sheehy on Instagram. I instantly fell in love with his work and since then I have looked at his website, twitter and read a few interviews. I would love to buy his work but it's quite expensive and I'm a poor student.

This a quote from him: 'I like the idea of a skull embedded in a pineapple- kinda evil and absurd at the same time'

This is a quote about him that I feel really sums him and his practice up:
'Nick’s work, drawn and coloured by hand, is meticulously crafted and wonderfully executed'

Why do you like their work?
I love how unpredictable and silly some of his work is but also quite badass using a lot of skull imagery. I read that he doesn't like to explain his work and leaves it up to the views interpretation which makes it mysterious and interesting. There is definitely something mysterious and compelling about his work.

How do they make their work?
His work is drawn and coloured by hand. His weapon of choice is a graphite pencil. He might add acrylic or photoshop but he says that he is much more satisfied by analogue than digital. You can definitely see that his drawings are hand crafted with great care.

What do you think is central to their practice?
I read that his inspiration is walking, museums, natural history, film scenes, discovering new music. I can really see this reflected in his work. With all the skeleton and wild life imagery that he would find in natural history musuems or on walks.

Who have they worked for/where does their work exist?
His work has existed in a lot of exhibitions all over the world. And then he has also worked for selected publications such as magazines and books.

How does their work relate to what you do/would like to do?
I love this his work is so obviously handmade and not digital, I love that his work is so weird but works so well. I love that his work uses restricted colour and when he does use it, it is so effective. I want all this in my own work. Basically I wish Nick's work was my work. This is exactly the kind of thing I want to make -evil but absurd.



'Discovering new music makes your brain vibrate. Ideas seem to evolve out of random sketching'

No comments:

Post a Comment