Saturday 21 April 2018

Study Task 7

I've sent a few emails out to different type of illustrators who practice different areas I'm interested in. I've sent emails to Camille Chew (witchy illustrator), Cassidy Rae Marietta(illustrator), Emily Carroll (tattoo artist), Meg Langdale (tattoo artist) and Dasi (a community artist that I know). Cassidy Rae Marietta replied the same day and Camille Chew replied saying she can answer questions at the start of May as she is busy, and still awaiting response from the others. 

Cassidy Rae Marietta


1.What inspires all your work? 


I am forever inspired by nature and the world around me. I moved around a lot in my youth and discovered a friendship with the earth around me-- That is a relationship that I've nurtured all my life.
Illustration has been a way to narrate personal truths and it's a very meditative process.
Returning themes in my work include the position of women in modern society, sexuality and the role division between social normality, censorship and the rawness of human nature/human condition-


When I feel a deep connectedness with what I'm creating- inspiration comes w/fluidity.


2.How have you found working freelance? What have you found are the biggest challenges? Have you needed to have other employment alongside this?

Freelance is difficult. I won't lie about that. I've managed to grab hold of a couple lasting gigs that guarantee monthly income but hustle is in the equation month by month and at the end of the day nobody is going to pay your bills but you.  
I juggled a full-time job and an art career for nearly 10 years but that struggle made me focus harder on what was important to me and here we are. 

Not creating art was never an option but I have always pathed out ways to make money in the event people hated what I was doing. 

Work hard. Save money. Pay your bills. Be kind to people. Seems easy enough but common sense isn't always common and I'm still learning every day ;)


3.How did you start getting commissions or getting your name out there within the illustration/art world? How would you suggest I go about making contacts?

If you are consistent and putting solid work out that is personal to you (not necessarily following any kind of trend etc) you'll start to get attention. 
I've learned to make art for me and not necessarily an audience- And that seems to work for me.

A bit after college my husband (boyfriend at the time...we met at art school) encouraged me to start a Tumblr account. 
I hadn't really started any kind of art-world networking and he thought it would be a good place to get noticed. 
After a while, I was contacted by a reputable art magazine to have a blog feature. Feels like it's been uphill since then. 

Instagram and Society6 have been huge platforms for making contacts as well as sharing work. 
Also- look into any local non-profits where you live and see what kind of creative grants/opportunities are available.
Just remind yourself it doesn't happen overnight and try not to lose confidence. 


4.Do you think its important to find a niche and have particular style or be more versatile? What makes a strong portfolio?

A strong portfolio has a unique voice- No particular style or versatility per se but the artist is making a vivid impact. I want to see a smart and visually exciting body of work and maybe keep me thinking about it for a while. 

5.I know you make and sell a lot of your own work on Society 6. Do you prefer working like this as you can have more free reign? 

 Society6 has exceeded all my expectations. It is simple to use, the products are 100 percent quality every. time. And it's a great place to network, discover and be discovered. 
I spend a lot of time doing private commission work and when I'm not doing that I'm still drawing. S6 opens up a lot of time-- All I gotta do is produce the work. 


6.How was working after education and what tips would you have for me as an illustration student graduating next year?

There was so much societal pressure to be so many things at that time (not unlike current times...) w/ social media growing and false standards--
I didn't want to lose sight of the human element and started working at a youth center teaching art to homeless teenagers.
I learned that being an artist is a privilege and that not everybody has the luxury to express themselves or their minds freely. 
You're already blooming.

Take time for yourself to breath and level your thoughts. Be humble. Make an impact and connect with people. Be serious about your work but don't take yourself too seriously.

I'll absolutely check out your stuff. Hope this offers a bit more insight.
Best of luck and thanks for the support.

Cassidy

No comments:

Post a Comment